From our McCutcheon Vineyard. Typically elegant with characteristic earthy, spicy, red fruit and berries, undergrowth and autumnal leaves; it is a controlled wine, poised and restrained.
The McCutcheon Vineyard typically delivers one of the most classic Mornington Pinot expressions and it doesn’t disappoint here. Interestingly, the acidity here has that mouthfeel ‘fizz’ you see in Burgundy, a nod to the perfect balance of McCutcheon. It’s a wine that is still unveiling in bottle, the hints of black pepper and blackberry hinting at the balance lying below, the tannins not aggressive, but a presence. The very model of a modern Mornington Pinot. Andrew Graham [February 2018, commissioned by TMBT]
Hand picked 17 March 2016. Clone MV6 (100%) from the Ridge Block (100%) on our McCutcheon Vineyard. Yield 2.94 tonnes/ha (1.2 t/acre, ~18hl/ha).
• 100% destemmed
• 3-7 day pre-ferment maceration
• 100% wild yeast fermentation with manual plunging
• short post-ferment maceration, total 15-25 days on skins
• following pressing and short settling period the wine was transferred to 25% new French oak barriques
• bottled unfined and unfiltered following a total of 12 months of oak maturation
Food Pairing Notes
A trademark style and a wine commanding a traditional match. Duck breast with fresh figs. Serve at 14–17°C.