From our northern Peninsula, "down-the-hill" vineyard in the Moorooduc/Tuerong region. Markedly different from our other single vineyard Pinot Noirs as one would expect from this much warmer site with easier draining sedimentary soils.
The Coolart Road vineyard is the earliest picked of the Ten Minutes by Tractor vineyards and typically produces a more fleshy wine. Yet in 2016 it is a different beast, with darker, savoury, meaty plum fruit and an earthen edge. The grapes for this wine were picked over several days at a range of different ripeness levels, a move which ultimately delivers surprising complexity. A brooding Pinot Noir, from a vineyard otherwise known for easygoing flavours. Andrew Graham [February 2018, commissioned by TMBT]
Hand picked 17-20 February 2016. Clones MV6 (65%), 115 (18%) and 777 (17%) from F Block (100%) on our Coolart Road vineyard. Yield 6.24 tonnes/ha (2.5 t/acre, ~37hl/ha).
• 100% destemmed
• 3-7 day pre-ferment maceration
• 100% wild yeast fermentation with manual plunging
• short post-ferment maceration, total 15-25 days on skins
• following pressing and short settling period the wine was transferred to 20% new French oak barriques
• bottled unfined and unfiltered following a total of 12 months of oak maturation
Food Pairing Notes
The almost smoky edge would make this perfect with a smoky bresaola charcuterie platter. Serve at 14–17°C.