Download a pdf of these details here.
We suggest if you require local transport that you pre-arrange one of the several services offered in the hinterland area. Unfortunately taxi service is virtually nonexistent – even if pre booked they cannot be relied upon to get you to your reservation on time and it is more than likely that you will wait over an hour for them to pick you up. Below is a list of recommended services that can be relied upon.
5 Favourite Cellar Doors...Open Daily
- Main Ridge Estate :: 80 William Road, Red Hill :: 03 5989 2686
The Peninsula’s first commercial winery – a must visit. Great Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
- Kooyong at Port Phillip :: 263 Red Hill Road, Red Hill South :: 03 5989 4444
Under the guiding hand of Sandro Mosele. The cellar door building is impressive to say the least.
- Eldridge Estate :: 120 Arthurs Seat Road, Red Hill :: 03 5989 2644
David Lloyd is known as the “Clone Ranger” because of his interest in Pinot Noir clones.
- Moorooduc Estate :: 501 Derril Road, Moorooduc :: 03 5971 8506
Our winemaker Richard McIntyre, one of the pioneers of wild yeast fermentation on the Peninsula.
- Yabby Lake :: 112 Tuerong Road, Moorooduc :: 03 9667 6541
Great Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from winemaker Tom Carson.
5 Favourite Cellar Doors...Limited Opening
- Ocean Eight :: 271 Tucks Road, Shoreham, :: 03 5989 6471 :: First weekend of every month
The Aylward family were the founders of Kooyong Wines, starting here in 2004 after selling to Port Phillip.
- Paradigm Hill :: 26 Merricks Road, Merricks :: 03 5989 9000 :: Open Sat-Sun
Our friends George & Ruth Mihaly – Ruth runs the vineyards, George the winery.
- Hurley Vineyard :: 101 Balnarring Road, Balnarring :: 03 5931 3000 :: By appointment only
Hurley Vineyard wraps north to east around the crest of a little volcanic hill in three climats: Lodestone, Hommage and Garamond.
- Scorpo Wines :: 23 Old Bittern Dromana Road, Merricks North :: 03 5989 7697 :: By appointment only
From horticulturist and landscape architect Paul Scorpo.
- Staindl Wines :: 63 Shoreham Road, Red Hill South :: 0419 553 299 :: By appointment only
Biodynamic and dry grown old vines
5 Favourite Places To Eat...More Casual
- Trofeo Estate :: 85 Harrisons Road, Dromana :: 03 5981 8688 :: Daily breakfast, lunch
Whispering Vines Café, modern café cuisine focused on fresh organic produce, coffee all day
- Merricks Creek Vineyard :: 44 Merricks Rd, Merricks :: 03 5989 8868 :: Sat-Sun & Public Holidays 12-5pm
Menu focuses on seasonally changing share plates that complement their wines.
- Lighthouse Café :: 681 Nepean Road, McCrae :: 03 5982 1130 :: Wed-Mon dinner
Thai Restaurant, BYO
- Long Table:: 159 Shoreham Road, Red Hill South :: 03 5989 2326 :: Wed-Sun dinner, Sat-Sun lunch
Its popularity with the locals is its best endorsement.
- Le Bouchon :: 10 Russell Street, Balnarring :: 03 5983 2012:: Thu-Sat lunch, Tue-Sat dinner
From a background of France Soir and Salix Restaurant.
5 Favourite Places To Eat...More Formal
- Montalto :: 33 Shoreham Road, Red Hill :: 03 5989 8412 :: Daily lunch, Fri-Sat dinner
A long standing Peninsula favourite.
- Port Phillip Estate :: 263 Red Hill Road, Red Hill :: 03 5989 4444 :: Wed-Sun lunch, Fri-Sat dinner
Panoramic views across the vines to Westernport Bay.
- Petit Tracteur :: 1208 Mornington Flinders Rd, Main Ridge :: 03 5989 2510 :: Thurs-Mon lunch, Fri-Sun dinner
Petit Tracteur is Ten Minutes by Tractor's new bistro and bar, offering guests an exciting French inspired food experience matched by a selection of world class wines.
- Paringa Estate Restaurant :: 44 Paringa Road, Red Hill :: 03 5989 2669 :: Wed-Sun lunch, Fri-Sat dinner
An exciting and imaginative menu of colourfully presented food.
- Polperro :: 150 Red Hill Road, Red Hill South :: 03 5989 2471 :: Fri-Sat dinner, Thu-Mon lunch
“Fresh, textural & seasonal flavours with an emphasis on where the food comes from and how it is grown.”.
5 Favourite Beaches...Surf
- Point Leo (hazard rating 4/10)
Very popular surf beach with swells rolling in from Bass Strait; picnic and barbecue facilities.
- Gunnamatta (hazard rating 8/10)
High energy, hazardous beach best suited for experienced surfers. One of the most rugged in Australia.
- Sorrento Back (Ocean) Beach (hazard rating 6/10)
Part of the Mornington Peninsula National Park this popular surf beach has picnic and barbecue areas.
- Portsea Back (Ocean) Beach (hazard rating 8/10)
A popular summer beach, however beware of the rips, rocks and reefs.
- Rye Ocean Beach (hazard rating 8/10)
The rips at this surf beach can make it unsafe for swimming!
5 Favourite Beaches...Family
- Flinders (hazard rating 5/10)
A protected sandy bay beach with picnic and barbecue facilities.
- Safety Beach (hazard rating 5/10)
Calm, sandy bay swimming beach.
- Shoreham (hazard rating 3/10)
Very accessible, attractive, low energy beach. Rocky platforms and reefs popular for family exploration.
- McCrae/Rosebud (hazard rating 1/10)
Two very accessible, attractive, low energy beaches.
- Sorrento Front (Bay) Beach (hazard rating 1/10)
The Park Beach is backed by Sorrento Park, which has picnic facilities and a boat launching ramp.
5 Favourite Activities
- Peninsula Hot Springs :: Springs Lane, Rye :: 03 5950 8777 :: daily
Natural thermal mineral waters flow into the pools and private baths. Book in early as the Hot Springs are very popular.
- Ashcombe Maze :: 15 Shoreham Road, Shoreham :: 03 5989 8387 :: daily
Australia's oldest and most famous hedge maze as well as home to the world's first circular rose maze.
- Arthurs Seat Eagle Gondola :: 795 Arthurs Seat Rd, Arthurs Seat or 1085 Arthurs Seat Road, Dromana :: 03 5987 0600 :: daily
The new Arthurs Seat Eagle gondola ride gives visitors the chance to take in the Mornington Peninsula from a bird’s eye view.
- Bushrangers Bay walk :: car park on Boneo Road just to the west of Meakins Road
A picnic lunch and a 1½-2 hour round trip take you down to an absolutely stunning beach.
- Cape Schanck Lighthouse :: 420 Cape Schanck Road, Cape Schanck :: 03 5988 6184
Historic light, one of the few still operating as it did during the early 1800s.
5 Favourite Golf Courses
- Moonah Links :: 55 Peter Thomson Drive, Fingal :: 03 5988 2088
Two world class courses - the Open Course and the Legends Course (No 13 of Golf Digest’s 2010 Top 100).
- Flinders :: Bass Street, Flinders :: 03 5985 0312
The oldest and most scenic of all the courses in the region, atop the cliff tops overlooking Bass Strait.
- RACV Cape Schanck Resort :: Boneo Road, Cape Schanck :: 03 5950 8100
Spectacular - huge greens, large open bunkers, wide tree lined fairways and sweeping ocean views.
- The Dunes :: Browns Road, Rye :: 03 5985 1334
Ranked No 14 of Golf Digest’s 2010 Top 100.
- St Andrews Beach :: 209 Sandy Road, St Andrews Beach :: 03 5988 6000
Just behind the thundering surf of Gunnamatta Beach.
5 Favourite Gourmet Providores
- MP Gourmet
The Mornington Peninsula Gourmet website is a great place to start planning your visit to the Peninsula.
- Main Ridge Dairy :: 289 Main Creek Road, Main Ridge :: 03 5989 6622 :: Fri-Mon
A farmhouse cheese factory and goat dairy.
- Mornington Peninsula Chocolates :: 45 Cook Street, Flinders :: 03 5989 0040 :: Thu-Sun
Award winning, hand crafted chocolates.
- Red Hill Brewery :: 88 Shoreham Road, Red Hill South :: 03 5989 2959 :: irregular openings
The first and only microbrewery "up-the-hill" on the Mornington Peninsula.
- Red Hill Market :: Arthur's Seat Road, Red Hill :: First Sat of the month, Sep-May
The 'grand dame' of Victoria's craft markets, it began on the Red Hill Recreation Reserve in 1975.
5 Favourite Galleries
- Hugh Gallery :: 45 Cook St, Flinders :: 03 5989 0981 :: “most weekends, everyday over summer”
Specializes in collographs, embossings and etchings plus paintings created during trips to Queensland.
- Gordon Studio Glassblowers :: 290 Red Hill Road, Red Hill :: 03 5989 7073 :: daily 10-5
Glass gallery and you can observe resident glass artists working with molten hot glass.
- Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery :: Dunns Road, Mornington :: 03 5975 4395 :: Tue-Sun
The Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery is the major cultural facility of Mornington Peninsula Shire.
- Cook Street Collective :: 41 Cook Street, Flinders :: 03 5989 1022 :: daily 10-4
A cooperative of artists and craftsmen – painting, sculpture, furniture, photography, jewellery.
- Sorrento / Flinders Fine Art Gallery :: 3301 Point Nepean Road, Sorrento :: 03 5984 3880
The Mornington Peninsula's major classic and contemporary fine art gallery (also in Flinders).
5 Favourite Places To Stay...B & Bs
- The Orchard B&B :: 45 Thomas Road, Red Hill :: 03 5989 3152
Three suites designed to provide privacy and luxury, glorious views, large bathroom with a spacious spa.
- Stony Creek Cottages :: 1193 Mornington Flinders Road, Red Hill :: 03 5989 2748
2 B&B self contained cottages in the rural hinterland region. Open fire and spa bath.
- George's Boutique B&B & Culinary Retreat :: 776 Arthurs Seat Road, Arthurs Seat :: 03 5981 8700
Rated by Good Weekends Away as one of the best 100 retreats in Australia for short holidays.
- Seahaze B&B :: 40 Seahaze Street, Arthurs Seat :: 03 5987 2568
4½ star purpose built accommodation providing private retreats with all the latest modern features.
- The Grange Retreat :: 35 Station Road, Red Hill :: 0488 333 117
A self contained cottage in the heart of Red Hill however very quiet and secluded. The perfect getaway for couples.
5 Favourite Places To Stay...Hotels / Motels
- Peppers Moonah Links :: 55 Peter Thomson Drive, Fingal :: 03 5988 2000
A unique leisure resort combining two 18 hole golf courses, an endota spa and luxury accommodation.
- RACV Cape Shanck Resort :: Trent Jones Drive (via Boneo Road), Cape Schanck :: 03 5950 8000
Contemporary resort on one of the most striking coastal golf courses in Australia.
- Hummingbird Eco Retreat :: 183 Arthurs Seat Road, Red Hill :: 03 5989 2504
State-of-the-art facilities with top eco-friendly designs and technologies and old fashioned country living.
- Flinders Hotel :: Cook Street, Flinders :: 03 5989 0201
Quarters offers quality and comfort; an ideal centre point for touring the peninsula.
- Woodman Estate :: 136 Graydens Road, Moorooduc :: 03 5978 8455
Lakeside estate offering luxurious accommodation, restaurant dining, and an indulgent spa retreat.
5 Favourite Airbnb’s
- Nord House :: 18 Baynes Road, Red Hill Victoria :: 0418 108 314
In the epicentre of Red Hill's best attractions, Nord House is an oasis of contemporary Scandinavian design. It's the perfect retreat or weekend away for up to 6 people.
- Orchard Keepers :: 17 Paringa Road Red Hill 3937 :: 0418 108 314
Originally 3 separate cottages dating back to the 1890’s & 1950’s, has now been restored and transformed into a beautiful four bedroom home & separate Workers Cottage providing country chic holiday accommodation for 10 people on 10 acres in the heart of Red Hill.
- Elm Farmhouse @ Red Hill :: Red Hill :: Contact via Airbnb
The Elm farmhouse is a rustic retreat in the heart of the Mornington Peninsula Hinterland. With views of the neighbouring vineyard and Port Phillip Bay, this 1938 built home will have you relaxed and rejuvenated in no time at all. Accommodates 4 people.
- Le Cottage :: 324 Arthurs Seat Rd, Red Hill :: 0413 198 743
Le Cottage in Red Hill is a beautifully renovated 1920s original farm cottage in french provincial style. Accomodates 2 guests.
- Harry's Red Hill :: Red Hill :: Contact via Airbnb
Sitting high above the vines with sweeping north facing 180-degree panorama of Port Phillip and beyond. Great for big groups - accommodates up to 10 people.
5 Favourite Wine Tour Companies